I was feeling pain and stiffness in my left hip. At first, I thought it was just sore from the route I ran during my usual lunchtime run through the hills of the park. The first time I felt the pain, I shook it off. I figured it would go away tomorrow. But the next day the pain and stiffness got worse. My pain tolerance is very high and so a little temporary discomfort does not faze me. Usually it motivates me. But this was a different type of pain. The doctor confirmed that it was more than severe soreness. He diagnosed me with having a femoroacetabular impingement. Basically, I have a genetic hip deformity. After his examination, he assured me that surgery and medication was not necessary and that I could overcome the pain naturally. Usually I have a terminator mindset when it comes to confronting challenges but, in this instance, the pain intimidated me because it stopped me from moving. I started to dispute the doctor’s point of view because my focus was on the pain.
My biggest mistake was that I was blocking my maximum healing energy because I focused my attention on my physical pain.
The doctor told me to keep fighting and believe that I would get better. At that moment, I realized that my body would not heal until I focused my energy on the belief that it would heal. Until then, I was passively waiting for my body to get better without actively telling it to heal. When I aligned my mind with my body, I began to see results. Then I expanded my approach and explored several natural methods. Here is my list:
- Acupuncture to promote healing and manage the pain. I am not a pill guy.
- Trained with an elite aquatic strength coach every day in a large swimming pool.
- Realigned my body through chiropractic adjustments.
- Changed my diet and consumed several anti-inflammatory herbs.
- Increased my sleep.
- Stopped running.
- Did yoga multiple times during the week.
- Bought an orthotic pillow.
- Changed my breathing pattern.
- Meditated on the healing power of God.
- Practiced biofeedback. I told my body to heal.
- Weekly took Espon salt baths.
Four years later my hip is stronger and more flexible. None of this would have happened if I did not first focus my energy on seeing and accepting that I could be healed. The body will comply with the instructions the mind gives it.